Contrary to what Principal Ronald Jones said at a Sept. 7 community meeting, Hillcrest High School will not be appealing its first-ever Academically Unacceptable rating from the Texas Education Agency.
Although Jones and his team put together information on 12 students who they said would reverse the rating, the district chose not to send the data along to state, Jones said today.
Unfortunately, no one told Jones that.
“It was my understanding from the district that we had an appeal that was being sent down, had been sent down,” Jones said. “There was a breakdown in communication.”
This breakdown confused members of the district office themselves, as several of them initially reported the data had been sent to the state.
Today, they are singing a different tune.
“We did send the information to the district, and they did not send it forward, saying we came up a little bit short with some data collecting,” Jones said. “But nobody ever told me that.”
Jones lamented the fact that misinformation came from his office.
“I’ve been in touch with a few people in the district, and they’re not happy about them not communicating with the principal on the campus because it makes him look like an idiot,” Jones said.
For now, Jones has other things to worry about.
“I will get some answers,” he said. “But my attention and focus is on getting the data right for this year.”
Jones and others including Councilwoman Linda Koop will participate in “Operation Comeback” tomorrow morning to recruit dropouts and students who failed to graduate from high school to re-enroll.
“I can’t allow this to distract me from moving forward,” Jones said.