Teacher Appreciation: What’s a Parent to do?

The end of the school year brings a lot of emotions.  My kids are happy, my husband is relieved that the hustle and bustle of finals and awards ceremonies is over, and I am stressed about what to give the teachers as a “thank you” for teaching my child and putting up with me.

I know its their job to teach, but  given all they do, don’t teachers deserve an extra “thank you” from parents?  Is there a thoughtful, but reasonably priced gift for teachers this time of year?  One year I gave the teachers candles. But, judging from the assortment of other candles on their desks, it wasn’t an original idea.  Another year I gave the teachers personalized notecards.  Two years ago I gave out Starbucks gift cards and last year I bought six chocolate Nothing Bundt Cakes.

A Hallmark card doesn’t seem like enough of a gift, but cash seems like a payoff for tolerating, comforting, and teaching my little ray of sunshine.  Is there a better option?  Please share your thoughts.  You will probably help out a neighbor and fellow parent looking for the perfect end of year teacher gift.

3 thoughts on “Teacher Appreciation: What’s a Parent to do?

• May 20, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Deno’s of Highland Park has great gifts for under $50.00!

• May 21, 2011 at 2:15 pm

a gift to Community Partners in honor of the teachers. you can contact community partners of Dallas @http://www.cpdtx.org/ and (214) 624-7557
    The mission of Community Partners of Dallas is to ensure safety, restore dignity, and inspire hope for the abused and neglected children served by Dallas County Child Protective Services.

• May 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm

For a minimum gift of $10 Community Partners of Dallas will send a personalized card to your teacher telling them that they are appreciated and in their honor a gift has been made to provide school supplies for abused and neglected kids. Visit the website to see the card and make the donations at http://www.CommunityPartnersDallas.org

Thank you!