Jury Deliberations, Day 2 UPDATED

Alright gang, thus begins my second day of pacing in the courthouse, waiting out a verdict in the civil suit against the Episcopal School of Dallas.

Channel 5 has joined me, and I’m thankful for the company. Looks like this trial is going to get some more diversified media coverage.

I’ll update as soon as I have more information.

UPDATE 9:45 a.m.

Attorneys from both sides just went into Judge D’Metria Benson’s chambers. I’m not sure if this is a routine thing or if it’s a signal of something else.

9:50 a.m.

Attorneys are back out. And I’m bored. That is all.

11:50 a.m.

There is a subpoena for John Eagle, chair of the board at ESD, sitting on the floor outside the courtroom. It was sent by Charla Aldous. All of this was learned from reading the subpoena, as neither side is willing to talk to me at this time.

12:45 a.m.

Father Stephen Swann just walked past a man calling his name and trying to serve him a subpoena. The subpoena, which was left on the floor as well, was sent by Aldous. Both Swann and Eagle are being summoned to Benson’s chambers at 9 a.m. tomorrow.

2:50 p.m.

Royce West is being interviewed by Dawn Tongish about his support of a sex offenders registration reform bill. He says the bill will only affect a sliver of offenders that were involved in “teenage love affairs” where one party was 18 and the other was 16.

3 p.m.

The jury is in recess until 9:30 a.m. tomorrow.

80 thoughts on “Jury Deliberations, Day 2 UPDATED

• September 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

Watch ye therefore, for ye know not when the master of the house cometh.

• September 19, 2011 at 10:22 am

Claire- if this is over today I want to thank you for a job well done. You have been up there for so long and have been extremely patient with those of us who followed this trial and commented.

• September 19, 2011 at 10:27 am

Once more in case you haven’t heard it enough: Thank you Claire for all your hard work! What are we going to do without you?

Have you thought about writing an op-ed based on your conclusions from the trial? Basically your take on all of it, perhaps on your personal blog? I know I’d love to read it! (But you might want to turn off the ability to comment. . . )
    Thanks again!

• September 19, 2011 at 10:42 am

As I said last week – ESD Board, please change the way the school is run. Swann, Royall, Burrow, and Mayo should be shown the door. ESD is an excellent school but has suffered a huge black eye. This as an excellent OPPORTUNITY to hire new leaders who are true educators and who might personally live up to the moral and ethical standards the school espouses. This trial has made it very clear the current administration does not understand nor respect the high ideals of the institution. Swann et al are very poor role models for the students at the school.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

ESD is a fine school but the leadership is very weak, and thus hire weak. No one pushes back against Swann because he only has one play in his playbook – threats. He has a waiting list of families looking to get in and that is his proxy to carry on.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

Claire, you are great, thank you. I do know of at least 2 more trials. Surely you will cover them? You do such a wonderful job….

• September 19, 2011 at 11:14 am

TO: A current ESD parent
    RE: Board

Eagle, et al do not have the onions or conviction to make those NEEDED changes. This, in their minds, was nothing but a smear campaign by a sad non-A List family. Had this happened to, let’s say, an old E D S family the decisions made and actions taken would have been far different.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

We’re going to miss you, Claire and the daily injection of ATTVTC (attending the trial vicariously through Claire). I, for one, thought your asides were hilarious. Thank you for a job well done.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:40 am

GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    claire…you have been really biased.
    that is all.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:54 am

esdalum2: Well said!
    Noah: Obviously you are very familiar with the inner workings of E D S ………not

• September 19, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Yes! ESD needs big change!
    Fresh start! There are many families who care! …more families who pay full; less demanding, Big – money, elite country club members; & less scholarships to families who can really pay……..this structure gives big $$$$ too much power!

• September 19, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Glad this trial is over! I hope the ESD community can now focus on the important issue of educating young people.

• September 19, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I keep getting censored…

• September 19, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Claire could you clarify for us? Have Burrow and Swann been summoned to Benson’s chambers by those subpoenas they seem to be ducking?

Adding thanks for your trial coverage. Could be a specialty, yes?

• September 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

@Claire – does this mean the jury has stopped its deliberations? If they find liability, will the Court hear more evidence regarding damages (i.e. perhaps why Swann and Eagle were subpoenaed?)? Thanks for the info!

• September 19, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’m not that familiar with the law, and I was wondering why Father Swann & John Eagle would be served with a subpoena… I mean in general terms? Would it be to add testimony, answer a jury question, or possibly for another reason? Does anyone know?

• September 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm

well– for those of us who were fortunate enouogh to choose St Marks, Hockaday and/or Greenhill for our kids, BOTH sides of this ESD family feud have provided real incite into an institution without cohesion between the warring factions of parents.

Now– tell us again–why does one choose ESD? Christian values? Personal responsibility?

• September 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

@Curious Alum, The jury is still deliberating. As the attorneys have been instructed not to talk to me, I’m waiting to see what documents are posted online about the subpoenas. All I know now is that Eagle and Swann were served.

• September 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm

@CarolinaBorn, I don’t know anything about a subpoena for Burrow. But the ones for Eagle and Swann summon them to Benson’s chambers at 9 a.m. tomorrow.

• September 19, 2011 at 1:50 pm

@07Dad: Maybe people go to ESD to learn to spell words like “enough” and “insight” or at least how to use a spell checker.

• September 19, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Wow! Just when I thought all we had to look forward to was the jury’s verdict and amount awarded… Now we have… subpoenas in overtime!!! This may be more exciting than the Cowboys game.

• September 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm

@07 Dad- I am so tired of people that feel like they are superior to parents that chose ESD. Parents chose ESD because it is a co-ed, faith based, and a fabulous school. At Hockaday, Greenhill, and St. Marks you need to be in the top 10% of the general population. Not everyone in life is in the top 10%. God did not make everyone in the top 10%. My children were accepted at those schools, but we did not like the single sex environment and thought Greenhill was too liberal for our family. How do you think the guy or girl feels that’s in the bottom of his class at one of those schools?

ESD is a great school and has the best teachers in the world. Do not judge the entire school or the parents or the students because of this one incident.

• September 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

@ 07 Dad…awww, don’t let the former ESD crowd annoy you. I bet your blog commenting from a phone. Even if you can’t spell, I’m guessing your kids can.

Do the ESD supporters get how petty and ugly y’all are looking?

• September 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Oh, and…what’s the over under the subpoena is for perjury?

Hmmm…

• September 19, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I feel for ESD. They did all they could do. They got rid of the predator as soon as they had reason to believe he was preying on a student sexually, even after both he and the girl continued to lie about their relationship. Then the girl came clean, after the predator was gone, and the school was willing to assist her with counseling. She was told not to talk about it, but she disobeyed the school and talked about it anyway. She was out of control and she was damaging the school. They had no choice in order to protect the rest of the students. They acted prudently. They didn’t harbor this predator, knowing hs was a predator, unlike some institutions that do harbor the predators and expose them to vulnerable children after they know they’ve preyed before. I just hope this jury shows that Dallas County has not become a haven for outrageous lawsuits.

• September 19, 2011 at 2:34 pm

No, ESD does not have the “best” teachers. ESD has some GREAT teachers, but your blanket statement is simply false.

• September 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

.. If you’re going to edit posts, I think you really ought to indicate that bits or entire paragraphs were deleted. I made a point about a group at ESD and their qualifications to teach a particular subject- all verifiable through their website though I didn’t name the group- and you deleted that for some reason???

• September 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I thought 07 Dad’s usage of incite was punny.

Claire, do you know who put the subpoenas on the floor and for what purpose? I can think of lots of possibilities – they were left for you to find, fell during an attempt to serve them that was rejected, discarded because a trash can wasn’t nearby… But it does seem odd.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:10 pm

@Nancy Drew, I didn’t see the exchange with Eagle, but I did see the subpoena server attempt to hand the document to Swan. After calling his name repeatedly and standing right next to him, the server extended the subpoena to Swann, who let the paper fall to the floor and continued walking. It was later picked up by an ESD attorney.

• September 19, 2011 at 2:58 pm

The subpoena was probably for them to appear for the second stage of the trial (on the issue of punitive damages) if the jury sides with plaintiffs. “Excuse me?” – you have no idea what you are talking about.

• September 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm

@IO…ESD did harbor a predator. Campbell’s wife confided in Tolley Saltz (sp?) And TS was told by Campbell that JD2 was an abuse victim…did nothing. Mrs. Campbell did nothing.

• September 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Greenhill does not take only the top 10%. And good for you for not going to some liberal school that might actually defend and support a student in trouble. You would not want that, would you Eagle Parent. No, no, no….best keep them at a more conservative environment that does not allow such tom foolery like victims rights. heck, next thing you know, that liberal school will be thinking that other groups need protecting as well.

• September 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Sitting on my hands, with my mouth closed

• September 19, 2011 at 4:15 pm

It had become usual to give Napoleon the credit for every successful achievement and every stroke of good fortune. You would often hear one hen remark to another, ‘Under the guidance of our Leader, Comrade Napoleon, I have laid five eggs in six days’; or two cows, enjoying a drink at the pool, would exclaim, ‘Thanks to the leadership of Comrade Napoleon, how excellent this water tastes!'”
    – George Orwell, Animal Farm, Ch. 8

Seems the powers at ESD speak from two books

• September 19, 2011 at 4:39 pm

@ (ir)Rational- it was a joke. Lighten up.

• September 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

@Noah- if you are not drinking the koolaide at ESD you know this is the truth. The true colors/hearts of Eagle and Swann will come out after the trial is over. If we win or lose the best decision will be for them both to resign. However in true narcissism one is never able to see their own part in the situation- so it will de doubtful.

• September 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm

eagle parent

have you not been following the trial. one incident. oh, that’s right, the others have been made up by people who do not like ESD. They dislike it so much, that they are willing to commit perjury on the stand. Boy, that is some hate.

Again, drinking the kool-aid is not always the best thing to do.

• September 19, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Does not look good for ESD. I don’t think that the Swann would be subpoena because of all the perjury ESD’s administration committed, will be for something else.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:14 pm

“After calling his name repeatedly and standing right next to him, the server extended the subpoena to Swann, who let the paper fall to the floor and continued walking.”

Classy, Steve. Real classy.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I’m sure all you people taking potshots at each other will be relieved to know that to date, according to my child, the kids at the ESD High School aren’t talking about this mess I’m sure some kids are– but it isn’t wildfire like I feared.

I do NOT understand this bickering back and forth about who has the best school/teachers/students/mascot/facilities/school song/colors (sarcasm intended). We are talking about CHILDREN here — I am appalled that someone would suggest that those of us who choose to send our CHILDREN to ESD are unfortunate, less than, unworthy, have inferior children and worse judgement.

Shame on you.

Through no fault of his own, my ESD graduate’s diploma will carry with it the stigma of this sordid mess. The kid worked UNBELIEVABLY hard to accomplish what he did.

Through no fault of his own, my current student’s diploma will carry with it the stigma of this sordid mess. He’s kind of lazy, but nonetheless this has nothing to do with him.

You like to talk about how Swann, et al., didn’t care about JDII? I think many of you are guilty of the same thing in failing to care about the CHILDREN who are enrolled at ESD. Guess what? They didn’t do one thing to deserve the damage to their school from this appalling public train wreck.

Personally, I am sickened by the way this was handled, and scared for my child. If they will kick the victim of sexual assault out, no one is safe. So I won’t be leading the charge to bring about much needed changes, and I daresay many a parent will hang back for the same reason because our CHILDREN are at stake. We are all one bad decision away from being Bill Black.

Rant over.

I’m guessing based upon my years in the courtroom the jury is arguing damages. Just a guess.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:29 pm

What is the point of refusing to accept service? It doesn’t change anything and I think that it just makes the person being served look bad.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Oh, and in my opinion, the subpoena doesn’t bode well for Swann or Eagle. The trial judge need only request their presence. At this juncture they would have to be certifiably insane not to comply.

I’ve been wondering of perjury might be brought up, although in my experience no one much cared about people lying on the stand.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:36 pm

GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD GO ESD !

• September 19, 2011 at 6:40 pm

BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE BOO JANE DOE !
    if you didn’t lie on the stand i would be on your side. but you did so I’m not. sawwwwy. 🙁

• September 19, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Ducking subpoenas and evading?  In the courthouse?What a surprise?His entire career reflects the same behaviors. This man honestly believes he is above the law. He and John probably think they are unjustly persecuted- they’ve completely lost touch and believe their own twisted lies. How pathetic and desperate would you have to be to behave that way?Sounds like some smarmy suspect on the Sopranos.

• September 19, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I hope the producers of the new Dallas series are watching-bet they are. This story rivals Good Christian *******. It’s becoming a blockbuster, cliffhanger and all.

• September 19, 2011 at 7:20 pm

@Jogger

News flash! Narcissism and arrogance are prerequisites to be in certain positions there…board and admissions!

• September 19, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Sounds like the process server just threw the subpoena at Swann but I guess I missed the part where this mattered.

• September 19, 2011 at 9:03 pm

nancy you are completely right. who gives a rats behind whether swann picked up the subpoena or not. come on people don’t y’all have better things to do with your lives than judge someone for not picking up a piece of paper????

• September 19, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Um, anyone remember the song by The Police? Lust is lust, wrong is wrong, but seriously – the girl was no innocent. Her actions after the crescendo are what I find objectionable, and yes, the rest of the community at the school were scared sick of and for her, as well. I’m an alum of ESD, and I’m certainly no fan of Steve Swann, but he ain’t the only one who is wrong on this whole ordeal, and the family of the ‘victim’ need to look REALLY hard at their own souls, especially the mom and dad. There’s enough blindness and narcissism here to merit that the whole thing get thrown out.

This DOES happen at other schools, but it’s rare all around. Don’t paint ESD with such a wide brush. Hug your kids, talk with and to them daily, and pray to whatever color of God you worship that your kids are neither the instigators nor the victims of such acts. A lot of the words here these past three weeks have served to kill what is otherwise, and mostly, a good, uplifting, supportive culture. I’m sorry that so many see fit to skewer it with this isolated act. Steve should have left years ago, but you have to look at the institution as a whole, and all the good it really has done for the Dallas Community, before casting stones. There’s plenty to hate about any school, but this event shouldn’t mark the man, the administration, or the place, forever.

What a big bag of mess.

• September 19, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Why would they need to personally serve subpoenas like that? Surely defense counsel would have accepted service. Or does Charla just like the added drama?

Claire, do you intend to give the appeal the same coverage?

• September 19, 2011 at 10:04 pm

May have just been a fumbled handoff. Or maybe Swann thought it was TMZ shouting his name for comments but he had to go to a meeting.

Either way he has his people following behind to pick the paper up, get it to him, read it to him, and then explain to him where he needs to be in the A.M. Wonderful.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:19 pm

@Former Lawyer – I appreciate your comments and concerns. However, I honestly don’t think you need to worry about the well being or safety of your children. My 2 kids are ESD grads who know the whole story of the Doe family and Campbell. Unfortunately, I’ve discovered on this board that stating the obvious truth gets one slammed or edited out. Let not your heart be troubled.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:21 pm

So sad for the families on both sides.
    Swann…..not so much. My boys are at one
    Of the other schools. They started out at
    ESD-had wonderful teachers and the education
    was great. The students should not feel tarnished
    by this trial. Yes, some adults seem to
    take great pleasure in this drama. Shame
    On them. The school will be judged by
    the character of it’s students. The adults
    let you down-maybe they need to immolate
    the students.

• September 19, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Dropped subpoenas? Excuse me Claire, were they real? Or theatrics from Charla? What a travesty in reporting? Dallas Times Herald quality! I do not subscribe, but PHP throws their trash in my yard weekly? I am sending request to PHP to cease throwing their trash in my yard immediately, or I will sue them! Disgusting, trashy, biased reporting! Editor, what a shame. Follow DMN and Channel 5 for classy and factual reports! Maybe ask DS for advice!

• September 20, 2011 at 7:13 am

ESD supporters:

ESD is a good school. It does have good teachers and good kids…I know many of each.

What I do not get is how anyone can trash Jane Doe and her family.

I do question some of the blind support here. Going back and reading posts for all the other days (yes I do have some time on my hands) what I have noticed is that there has been bashing on both sides, but almost all of it comes after an ESD supporter accused Claire of being biased, the judge of being biased, the news paper of being biased, or Jane Doe for being a tramp or at fault, the family for being money grubbers, etc.

Have I done my share of ESD bashing, sure. But it has always been after some ESD follower has made a rash and ignorant statement about something the other side has done wrong once again.

Is it quite possible that there is some culpability here by ESD? To some of course not. To some anything said against the school is biased and wrong. It is this type of thinking and writing that brings out a lot of the responses you see here.

Should Jane Doe have known better, sure. Should the parents have been checking on their kid more – who knows. Had she given them cause? But the actions of Swann, Mayo, Royall, et. all are worse….when you are looking at what the school did for/to Jane Doe after the fact. And when new allegations appear that seem to show a history of this, without much being done,,,,that does not bode well for ESD.

Is it okay to support your school, country, whatever…sure. But a lot of what I read coming from the ESD crowd (not all) is more of a MY SCHOOL….LOVE IT OR YOU ARE WRONG mentality that just makes you seem petty and not really interested in the facts.

Here is one last thing: I can agree with the judge and the coverage and that does not make me biased. I have read the stories from the DMN as well and they leave out a lot of what Claire says, so are they biased as well?

• September 20, 2011 at 8:27 am

Claire, are the subpoenas dropped? Did they exist? RE: CurrentEsdParent

• September 20, 2011 at 8:41 am

“The adults
    let you down-maybe they need to immolate
    the students.”

Freudian slip?

When the headmaster has forgotten past instances of student/teacher sexual relationships and the CFO is buddying up with the criminal, there is a problem quite apart from the particulars of this case and whether the parents did or didn’t do and the girl’s character.

• September 20, 2011 at 8:56 am

@owkesd… You’re exactly right. The insults being exchange come AFTER a ridiculous statement by the ESD crowd against the victim. I think also that the “in crowd” at ESD is a priviledged set unaccustomed to the rules applying equally to them. Moderating comments or reporting actual quotes seems like bias…only because the facts are not on ESD’s side.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:06 am

To the former 2 time ESD dad who bristles at JD2 being called a “victim”? I call her that because that’s what the LAW and state of Texas categorize her as. That’s what a minor who has been drawn in by a sleezy 34 year old sexual deviant is, a VICTIM.

And, it takes a big leap on your part to assume that I don’t know the Does. I hope nothing bad ever happens to your children and grandchildren. You might see things a bit differently.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:15 am

Does anyone find it ironic that John EAGLE is a big muckety-muck for the ESD Eagles?

@one who knows ESD – well said. God forbid anyone of those Good Christian Eagles have a 16-year-old daughter, granddaughter, niece, etc. who falls under the spell of a pedophile like Campbell. You’ll realize how bad it is to blame the victim.

Jesus said to pray for your enemies, not prey on them.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:31 am

CurrentEsdParent and ormer student:

this is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Do you think Claire is making these subpoenas up? Why would anyone do that? That is just silly. And it is comments like these that make people come out against ESD supporters.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

@HMills-Funny! Emulate
    See, if I would have gone to ESD
    Maybe I could spell.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:52 am

one who knows: Did not imply that Claire made them up, suggested that it is a antic by Aldous! Did Claire ascertain that they were real before she reported them as such?

• September 20, 2011 at 10:08 am

@CurrentESDparent, I “ascertained” they were real when I held them with my own two hands.

• September 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

Claire: hummm, Wonder why Eagles wasn’t quashed?

• September 20, 2011 at 10:17 am

A victim is one who is oppressed by someone with superior power. There is evidence that this girl, at some point, was oppressed. However, how is opening the door to a grown man in the summer time, dressed only in a towel, a symbol of oppression? That girl wasn’t forced to open that door. How could this man have threatened her? How was that act forced or coerced? Then, after she was offered counseling and told not to talk about her affair, how is that a sign of being victimized? Does a victim brag about her affair? Does she casually discuss it, or does she talk about it only with her counselor as she seeks to recover her sense of personhood?

We’ve seen many examples of aggressive teenagers who pursued older people. Vili Fulauu went after Mary Kay LeTourneau, and married her, despite a 20 year age difference. Then there was the Long Island Lolita who went after her garage mechanic. To say these young people don’t have any responsibility for their actions flies in the face of what really happens sometimes.

Yes, legally, Campbell is a predator. He should suffer for his crime, but making his supervisors responsible for something that went on behind the scenes, unknown to them, and denied by both him and her after they were discovered in a compromising location? I don’t see it. Employees today are not slaves. They are not monitored every momeent of every day. Employers are not strictly liable for everything their employees do when they are off the job. People, especially teachers, are not presumed to be dangerous animals.

• September 20, 2011 at 11:02 am

In a sexual relatinship, the law presumes that a sixteen year old will always be unduly influenced by an adult and a student will always be unduly influenced by a teacher. There’s a reason the Texas legislature adopted that as public policy.

Whether the girl provoked the relationship is irrelevant. The burden was on the teacher not to respond. And as the teacher was an employee of ESD, it is certainly within bounds to ask if the school fulfilled its duty to protect its students from the teacher’s behavior. That is a factual question the jury will decide. But to suggest that the question need not even be asked because the girl was responsible is simply wrong and, quite frankly, dangerous to the safety of other children, both at ESD and at other schools.

• September 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

interested observer;

do you have kids? i hope not. you have no idea how a predator works or how the grooming process occurs. you have no business spouting your hate and ignorant opinion here.

• September 20, 2011 at 5:31 pm

HMIlls
    ummmmmmmm i don’t know about you but the girl provoking the relationship is very relevant. it shows that she was “on the prowl” and started the relationship. but she is trying to show that he was the one who “abused” her, which it definitely not true. yes it is the law that no teacher should have a relationship with a minor but whether or not the girl provoked the teacher is extremely relevant.
    one who knows esd- you have no business in talking about things you know nothing about.

• September 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm

nathan campbell had no previous record showing any inappropriate behavior to students. he was at esd for six years. that says something about the girl, jane doe. why did it just come out of nowhere??? because of jane does need to flirt with him!!!!!!!
    this is information that the jury needs to know because in their heads they are thinking “this poor girl was victimized by a teacher from esd. lets punish esd for letting this happen”. if they knew what this “poor girl” did and what kind of person she was they would have a change of thought….

• September 20, 2011 at 9:07 pm

esdalum2:

please stop. reading your posts, I have to assume that you must not really be an alum, possibly in 4th or 5th grade, and you really need to be working on homework and studying how to read and comprehend.

and I do know of what i speak. more than you will ever know.

and if you really are a graduate of ESD, you are not doing your school any favors by posting what you do. It only lends credence to those that argue ESD does not do a good job of educating its students.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm

esdalum2,

also. your last sentence is written incorrectly. it should read:

you have no business talking about things of which you know nothing.

hope that helps. if you plan to slam someone use correct grammar. i tutor by the way, reasonable rates.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:14 pm

sorry one who knows esd it just angers me how this girl is taking advantage of my school.

• September 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm

that I understand. but I really do not think she is taking advantage of the school. I can see that you are angry, but some of that anger needs to be pointed at the school as well. you had good teachers there, they must have taught you to also question those in authority. did Jane doe some thing wrong, sure. but she was just a child. I do not hold ESD responsible for what Campbell did, it was what happened after and what had happened before where ESD is guilty.

as a student there, you know that it is not uncommon for student to travel during the school year for weeks at a time….ESD could have asked Jane Doe to go on vacation for a couple of weeks to let all of this die down, that would have helped. They could have kept a closed eye on her after the incident came to light to help her finish out the year and then discuss with her the possibilities of not returning….many do that each summer, as you know.

just remember that she is the victim here, not ESD. a few “right” moves my ESD in the winter of 2010 and no one would have know much of this at all. that is who you need to be angry at as well.

• September 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

@one who knows esd . . I am neither for or against ESD, no alumni, no children in attendance but have been following this blog and your comments always ‘stand out’; unfortunately not in a complimentary way! Just wondering why is it that EVERYONE that disagrees with your opinions or logic is wrong and hateful. . maybe you should follow your own advice “you have no business spouting your hate and ignorant opinion here” AND to find out you are a tudor . .how disappointing and unfortunate for your students!

• September 23, 2011 at 6:43 pm

@amazed observor
    I LOVE YOU!!

• September 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Claire, PLEASE stop using “alright” as a word! It’s two words – “all right.” Professional writers should lead the charge for correct grammar and usage!

• September 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm

@GrammarGirl, Although I generally go with the shortest variation of spelling for online use, your passion (and the AP stylebook) won out this time. And that’s all right with me.